Thursday, June 27, 2013

Following the Schedule

If you are training, especially for a new distance, it's important to have a plan.    

There are approximately one zillion plans available for free on the internet.  For those who are just starting out...Couch to 5K.  For those who have been running, but want to step it up a notch...say to a 10K.  Here's where I started when I wanted to do a Half Marathon.  And here's where I found a basic plan.

That being said, rigid adherence to the plan may not be the best approach.  There are many reasons to deviate...training injury being the most obvious.  Real life is another...sometimes schedules have to adjust to working late or attending school functions or vacations.  Less obvious may be the "wasn't really feeling it" reason.

Today was supposed to be a 7 miler for me.  Why? Because that's what my schedule said.  Went home, got changed, geared up for the longish run, drove out to the lake.

And after all that...I ran 4 miles.  It wasn't an issue of being tired, or fueling or having the right music.  I just wasn't really feeling it today.  It was humid, but not too hot.  I know I could have done it, but didn't.

So, now what?  Beat myself up for not running 7 miles?  Absolutely not.  I ran today and that's a good thing. I can get back on track this weekend.  I have plenty of time until my next Half.  And most importantly, I don't want to make running a miserable experience.  After all, we encounter bad run days all on their own.

For this run, I'll just ignore the schedule, celebrate that I did 4 miles, and call it a good day.
Image Source:  facebook.com/c25kfree

No comments:

Post a Comment