Friday, July 12, 2013

Speed Drill Day - Not SOOOO Bad

Got up early to run yesterday...this is how I felt BEFORE the alarm went off...










Image Source: Naturlea.com

                                         

This is how I felt AFTER the alarm went off...












Image Source:                     My Next Race blog


Truthfully, it was a beautiful morning, birds chirping, sun gently brightening the sky, no one outside except me.  Would have been a perfect zen moment, except for the fact that I was dreading my first day of speed drills.

Plan:  At least one 60 second "blast" in each mile of today's 5K, dropping back to a recovery pace, without stopping.  Mission accomplished.  And, I have to say, immediately after the run I felt pretty good.

According to my trusty Garmin Forerunner the entire run was 27:50...only 30ish seconds off my last 5K race...which surprised me.  I expected to be slower overall figuring the burst of not-quite-lightening-fast speed would be overcome by the pretending-I'm-running-when-I'm-actually-shuffling recovery pace.

No next day aches or strains, which I take as a good sign.  Conventional wisdom says ease into speed drills, so no more until Monday or sometime next week.

So far, so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment