Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Importance of Rest

As a running blogger, I peruse other running blogs from time to time.  There are a few I really enjoy...Jen's This Runner's Trials and Jason's Barefoot Running University and Naomi's The Tao of Me

And a few that I don't.  For example, I just read a blog where the running Mom has something pretty intense scheduled every day of the week...and she's a fairly new runner working up to her first marathon.  Her schedule made me cringe a bit...especially because her only "rest" day included a 7 mile walk.

Here are a few things that I've learned over the past year...
  • Running can be addictive - I enjoy my runs like I never have before
  • Running is time consuming - especially if you're training for 10 miles or more
  • Running makes you hungry - REALLY hungry
  • Rest is important

From my perspective it's pretty simple.  We are on our feet a lot.  Running makes life harder on your feet.  For your feet to sustain your new obsession, YOU HAVE TO REST!

I have had some minor injuries in my barefoot running journey...because I was doing too much too soon.  Running too far, too often, not allowing my feet enough time to get used to the new activity.  Same thing when I decided to add mileage and train for my first Half marathon...the usual tendonitis and shin splints popped up...your basic over use injuries.

The foot doctor prescribed solution for both injuries?  REST!

Image Source:  Nice Day Designs blog

If you are serious about running as a life long way to stay healthy and fit and sane, you must work rest into your schedule.  There are plenty of marathon training schedules out there with only 3 running days...it may take longer to get to your goal, but in the long run (yeah, I said it...) it's the only way to go.

Don't just take my word for it, this Runner's World article emphasizes the same thing...as does this article from marathoner Carol Bedard and this more scientific article from Active.com.

Bottom Line:  Be nice to your feet and legs by giving them a break now and then.  In return they will carry you where ever you want to go for a very long time.

Image Source:  Sheknows.com

No comments:

Post a Comment