Sunday, November 11, 2012

I'm Baaaaaacccccckkkk

Took a longer break than anticipated, but happy to report I have new running shoes, Brooks PureConnects.  They are a hideous neon yellow/green, but they have a flexible sole, minimal padding (4 mm), and a wide enough toe box to feel comfy, but not like my toes are shifting around.

Image Source: www.brooksrunning.com

I had my semiannual fitness test on Friday, I haven't run since August, because of the injury primarily, although I had wanted to re-start back in Oct.  My 1.5 mile run was fine, but it was in normal padded running shoes complete with a normal stride that included a heel strike.  I kept thinking the entire run that this was bad for my joints, and resolved to get back to the minimalist running plan.

  • 1.5 miles - 14'37 (9'45 per mile pace)

One of my problems with my last attempt was the dreaded TMTS.  I didn't feel like I was pushing too fast, but I had a targeted a 10k (6.2 miles) race and gave myself 5 months to get there from zero (I was walking 1 - 4.5 miles a couple times a week then).  As the race date got closer, I was less inclined to ease up when I clearly needed to do so.  I do have another fitness test in about 6 months, but because of my injury I haven't been running at all, and have been walking 1 - 2 miles once or twice a week.  So REALLY starting from zero this time.  IF I am up to 1.5 miles by the next test, I'll give it a shot in my Brooks, but if I'm not, will run that in traditional sneakers.  AND, I won't look for another race until I'm up to the 5k mark (3.1 miles) naturally.  See? No pressure, just...dare I say it? Babysteps...

Wish me luck, and please take a moment today to thank the men and women you know who serve, or have served in the military.  Because...



No comments:

Post a Comment