Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Only Six Weeks Until the Big Day

But I have to make it past Friday first.  I did something to my foot...the left one...the one that was falling asleep...on the treadmill...and then off.  Not good.

Swollen ankle after Sunday's run.  Sore tendon (I think) on the top of my foot, that area is swollen too.  Right where my foot meets the front of my ankle, labeled "superior extensor retinaculum" in the graphic below.  Feels fine to wear heels, but I can feel the tendon(s) pulling when I'm barefoot.


My self diagnosis, courtesy of the online Sports Injury Clinic is Extensor Tendonitis.  Has nothing to do with the lacing of my shoes...as I have been adjusting that and ensuring that my laces have been loose.  May have a lot to do with my training course, with varying inclines and declines.  Adding hills to your run can bring on this condition, but I need to run hills because the Historic Half has a few and one is a killer!  

Also blamed for this condition is overdoing barefoot style running...that's not me!  I swear!!! Yes, I'm still working on it - but I'm only up to a mile!  I will admit that I attack any hill on the balls of my feet...I always have.  I still think it's less than a mile total, even for Sunday's 8 mile run/walk.

The general consensus regarding the treatment is Rest, Ice, and Proper shoes.

Rest - Haven't run since Sunday, but still have to walk around...

Ice - Have been icing the top of my foot and ankle every night this week.  May add some ibuprofen in tomorrow.

Proper shoes - No idea, really.

I have already made an appointment (Friday) with my foot doc for a professional opinion. Hopefully she'll tell me something like, "Just take a week off and buy [insert brand] running shoes."  Not running a step until then.  Wish me luck...

Half Marathon Training Progress Report -
  • Trying not to aggravate the issue

No comments:

Post a Comment