Monday, February 25, 2013

Early Morning Running

Living in a major metropolitan area means getting up ridiculously early to commute for some.  I have steadfastly refused to get out of bed before 5 a.m. for the entire five years that I've lived here.  Whether I've taken the metro, commuter train or my own car to work...have not gotten up before 5 a.m., because that is just uncivilized.

That is, until I started this running program a couple of months ago.  Today, for example, I was out of bed at 4:45...got up at 4:30 one day last week.  It's OK, call me a masochist.  I won't argue, but I will say that I've been getting the same hours of sleep on average (about six) and I've always been a good sleeper (is that a thing?), but getting up that early hasn't been a struggle...honest!
Image Source:  Athletic Feat newsletter

There are only two factors that could account for this.  1) New relationship energy...it's been a few months, but it's still all butterflies and sunshine and roses (I'm pretty lucky) and/or     2) My body has decided to enjoy running.  For that I can only be thankful, because this whole journey would be excruciatingly painful otherwise.  Yup, look forward to my morning runs, feel good during them (so far) and feel great having started my day that way.  It's not every day, but for now...totally worth it.

Half Marathon Training Progress Report -
  • .25 mile walk
  • 2 mile run (10'00)
  • .25 mile walk
Total Distance - 2.5 miles
Total Time - 29'16"


No comments:

Post a Comment