Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Rare Mid-Day Workout

Was home for lunch today, so decided to get a conditioning run in.  Nothing new, novel or exciting, but a chance to stay on track for a couple more runs this week.  Still basking in the positive attitude of last weekend's workout, I gave some thought to why I'm doing this.

Why Run?
  1. I have to run...my job requires it of me twice a year.
  2. I travel for work...nothing more portable than a pair of sneakers...instant workout anywhere I am.
  3. I like to eat...the intake of calories requires some expenditure to stay slim.
  4. I like being slim...vain? Maybe, but I also have low cholesterol and take no prescription meds.
  5. I want to model healthy behavior for my kids...more parents should think about that IMHO.
Why "Barefoot" Run?
  1. It adds a new twist to a required activity that is not as fun as it used to be.
  2. Easier on my joints, ensuring I can continue to run pain free for many years.
  3. I'm hoping taking it slow will help me speed up in the long run.  I've been in a 10 min mile rut for a while...1.5 or 3 miles.  I'd like to be in sight of an 8'30 mile...but, blissfully ignoring the fact that I'm older, I know I can do better.
  4. Taking it slow to work up to a barefoot mile and a half (and then 3 miles) actually cuts my workout time...which I'm good with right now.
  5. Despite my previous set back, barefoot running has refreshed my enthusiasm for running, and I know a 10K (about 6 miles) is in my future.
  6. I don't like my body telling me I can't do something.  I'm not crazed about it, but am deliberately taking it much slower for the sheer satisfaction of telling my body "I told you so" sometime in the future.
Progress Report - 
  • Walk .25 mile
  • Run .25 mile
  • Walk 1 mile
Total Distance - 1.5 miles
Total Time - 24' 42"

And just as a reminder on form...check this out: 
Source Image:  The Peaceful Runner blog

Disclaimer - I know the graphic runs over a bit, but wanted you to be able to read the text!

No comments:

Post a Comment