Saturday, December 29, 2012

Merry Christmas Madness

Another catch up post, but some useful info at the end, I promise!  I have run half a mile three times in the last two weeks.  Not as much as I had hoped, but using the holidays as a very poor excuse...shopping, cooking, feasting, running around, blah, blah, blah.

My half mile runs feel the same as my quarter mile runs...ridiculously easy and too short...but will give myself until the end of January...increasing the frequency before I increase the distance again.  No foot issues so far, keeping my fingers crossed!

Progress Report -
  • .25 mile walk
  • .5 mile run
  • .75 mile walk
Total Distance - 1.5 miles
Total Time - 22'51"

Found this Running Technique Tips blog today...this post talks about form and transitioning down from padded running shoes to minimalist shoes.  This graphic shows the reasons...you need to let your body adjust to using your butt, hip, quad, calf muscles in a different way. "Free" refers to the Nike Free line of minimalist shoes.  The blue indicates the muscles that are engaged, and he's right...my quads feel it when I run my fitness test in regular shoes, but never even get tight in my Brooks PureConnects or Vibram KSOs.


The blogger, Brian Martin is a runner who wrote about his running experience and coaches on technique.  He started on his journey as a regular guy who was trying to run better.  For the transition to minimalist running, he also recommends small easy jogs to condition those muscles to a better way to run.  So, I think I'm on to something...

No comments:

Post a Comment