Saturday, December 1, 2012

One Week? Really???

OK, here I was complaining that I have to go sooooo slow to ensure I gradually work up to a barely decent barefoot run.  And then I let an entire week go by before lacing up my sneakers.  That's bad.  The only defense that I can offer up is that I have been distracted lately, it (or should I say "he") is a good distraction, but not a good excuse.

But today is shaping up to be a good day.  I did my conditioning routine this morning, and while I was on the treadmill, bemoaning the fact that the quarter mile run takes no effort...and it shouldn't.  I started singing.  I stopped watching the distance tick by and starting grooving with VH1.  I sing really well, by the way...with the TV volume waaaaayyyyy up!  In that feel good moment, I decided to start looking at my slow pace in a more positive light.

Coincidentally, when I logged on I read this Barefoot Running University post that sort of reinforced what I was thinking.  Basically Jason says there are two kinds of runners...those who strive to improve and those who are happy where they are.  It's a quick read, so check it out.

In the spirit of a runner who is both trying to improve AND trying to be happy about where I'm at (for the moment) here are some positive thoughts about my very slow, very short running.
  1. I don't have to worry about falling off the treadmill...trust me this is huge...
  2. I get to sing along with VH1 and damn I sound good!
  3. I don't break a sweat so I can hug my daughter (who just got into her first choice college!) without offending her.
  4. It gives me plenty of time to add my upper body workout back into my routine.
  5. I will feel amazing the first time I run a 10k in these shoes.
  6. Something is always better than nothing.
So, there you have it...I am exuding positivity right now, hope you can feel that.

Progress Report -
  • Walk .25 mile
  • Run .25 mile
  • Walk 1 mile
Total Distance - 1.5 miles
Total Time - 24'42"

Image Source:  Easypseudovegan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment