Saturday, May 18, 2013

I Can't Wait!!!

Tomorrow is the big day.  I've got a busy Saturday, then I'm headed down to meet Janice tonight.  Getting up at some ridiculous hour to get to the race and then will done with my first Half by 10:00 or so!!!

My last two runs this week were...well, different.

Tues with my Run Club was wonderful....easy three miles with a speedy (for me) 9:30 pace for the last 2 miles.  Yes, I'm supposed to be taking it easy, but it felt amazing.

Thurs was less than smile inducing.  I signed up for a "All Levels Fun Run" with a new (to me) Run Club.  Didn't get my GPS to locate a satellite, so have no accurate idea of distance or time.  Was one of the slowest runners in the group and was planning to go the shortest distance (3 miles).

The leader paired me with a couple of slower runners, which was great.  We ran, we chatted, I struggled to make my iPod work (don't ask).  They led me to the turn around point...and left me.  That was a surprise, so I wasn't 100% sure how to get back.  Got off the trail at the wrong point, no phone, no GPS, but was pretty sure I had run about 3 miles.

Land navigation is not my strong point, but another 10-12 mins of mostly running in what I hoped was the right direction got me back to the starting point, but by that time I was kind of pissed, so I left.  I should have just done a 3-miler at home...

Shaking it off, because there are more important things to think about.  Like taking a moment in remembrance of the tragedy that happened to the Boston Marathoners and spectators.  Like knowing I am about to accomplish something I thought was impossible (and/or crazy) for most of my running life.  Like being a role model for my kids...as in you're never too old to take on a challenge.

Image Source:  Google Images (uncredited)

Right now, I'm up and packing for the race!  I'm excited and nervous and excited!! Hoping I don't forget anything too important and knowing that no matter what, as of tomorrow, I will be a "Half Marathoner"

And yes, that 13.1 magnet is definitely going on my car.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment