Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hills!!! Well, Sort Of...

Thursday was my follow up with my foot doc.  She was pleased with the progress I made...no pain or swelling issues after the 5 mile race last weekend.  So, she gave me permission to start running hills again.  Never thought I'd be so excited about exerting more effort...

The plan was a couple of loops around Burke Lake, the reality was time to get back on the treadmill...sigh... The good news is I wasn't wearing crazy sneakers like the lady below! Still loving my Saucony Kinvaras.

Image Source:  Healing Feet blog

The good part about the treadmill is you can control your pace.  I know I should be running negative splits...i.e., starting out with a relaxed pace and running faster as I go.  So that's what I forced myself to do today, started out at a 12 min mile and ended with a 10 min mile pace.  Added in two "hills" - an incline of 5 - for half a mile each and called it a good day.

Very alert to the possibility of overdoing it.  I could have gone 8 miles, but felt some mild strain in the tendon I've been having problems with...so the 7 miles I did (without stopping) was just fine for today.  Followed by ibuprofen and ice, of course.

Half Marathon Training Progress Report (Thurs) -
  • .25 mile walk
  • 2 mile run (12:00 pace)
    • .5 miles barefoot run (forefoot strike)
  • .5 mile "hill" (12:00 pace) - barefoot style
  • 2 mile run (10:54 pace)
  • .5 mile "hill" (10:54 pace) - barefoot style
  • 2 mile run (10:00 pace)
  • .25 mile walk
Total Distance - 7.5 miles
Total Time - 1:26:32

No comments:

Post a Comment