Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Little Time is Better Than No Time

The other day I blew off a Run Day, for no other reason than not feeling like it.  And today I read this post from This Runner's Trials blog.  Jen's not a barefoot runner, but she is dedicated and a Mom and shares her challenges and triumphs in a way that should inspire anyone to start moving.

Jen's post was about the excuse of not having time.  I have used this one throughout my lifetime of sporadic running, and almost every time it was not exactly the truth. There may not be time to do your scheduled or planned work out (mine takes about an hour), but there is usually 10 mins available to do SOMETHING!

Jen's post cites some sources that suggest a minimum of 10 mins is all it takes to say you exercised today.  The fitness industry seems to agree, and a review from Health and Wellness Coach, Wayne John's blog seems to indicate that it's worth it.






Since I don't actually own any of these videos, I could have strapped on my Vibrams and walked Rex that day, or done sit up/push ups in stages (until I reached the 10 min mark), or hula hooped in front of the TV (fun and works your abs), or turned up the radio and danced for 3 or 4 songs!

The possibilities are endless and it rarely matters where you are.  Some of my away from home options:  I have briskly walked the tunnels in airports instead of taking the train, gone up and down the interior stairs at my office, and stretched thoroughly working on my flexibility in my hotel room.  And here's the best part, sometimes you wrap it up in 10 mins, but sometimes just getting started leads to 15 mins or 20 mins or even your originally planned work out.

IT'S JUST 10 MINS!  You know that you can find that much time.

No comments:

Post a Comment