Sunday, June 10, 2012

Today Was A Walk Day

There's a lake near my house.  It has a 4.5 mile dirt trail for runners/walkers/bikers, I've even seen horseback riders there.  There is plenty of leafy tree coverage and it is always a few degrees cooler than my neighborhood.

Today I was bringing a non-runner with me, so I knew I would be walking the whole way. The big decision was whether to wear my Vibrams or my traditional running shoes.  I decided to go with running shoes and here's why:

  • So far, my longest walk/run distance is 3.5 miles...adding a mile didn't sound like a gradual increase
  • With the exception of a stretch of gravel, the paths by my house are paved with asphalt
  • The lake trails are dirt and gravel and a rocky/rooty hill at one point
  • That stupid foot twinge (better, but not gone)

I feel like I made the right decision because I was walking.  I decided I won't try to walk/run the lake until I've worked up to 4.5 miles at home.  My friend and I walked (and gabbed) at a brisk pace, so it counted as exercise...but tomorrow is definitely a Run Day!

Total Mileage - 4.5 miles
Disclaimer - Not original artwork...I wish I could draw that well!

No comments:

Post a Comment