Sunday, March 3, 2013

Great Article With Transition Tips

This Running Times article is clearly meant for people who have been distance runners for a while, but has good body mechanics info that is useful for any level runner considering minimalist running.  This graphic demonstrates one of the exercises recommended in the article.

Image Source: Nightsplint.info

My Achilles tendon really gave me trouble last summer when I first attempted to barefoot fun in my Vibram KSOs (i.e., virtually no padding).  Plus, I didn't realize that as a female who routinely wears high heels to work, I needed to concentrate on lengthening the range of motion for that tendon, BEFORE I started to barefoot run.

My Doc prescribed stretches work my calves, hamstrings and Achilles tendons, so doing them before and during transition attempt #2 has definitely made a difference.  Then again, so has changing to a shoe with some padding (4-mm drop) and slowing the increase in mileage.

The Image Source link above contains some other stretches that would be helpful to the transition as they target the same areas.  Work them in early and often to help prevent strain later.

Remember - What you can do aerobically is not a measure of what you can do physically with minimalist shoes!

Barefoot Progress Report -
  • .25 mile walk
  • 1 mile run (10'00" pace)
  • .25 mile walk
Total Distance - 1.5 miles
Total Time - 19'17"

No comments:

Post a Comment