Friday, March 8, 2013

My First Really Crappy Run

Today I ran 3 miles...a distance I have run before with no problem.  Yet I really struggled to complete the last mile.  This was the first time I've changed the tempo of my run, and the first time I increased the tempo of my run to compensate, and the first time I really had to force myself to finish the prescribed training distance.

Why?  Could be a thousand reasons.  I woke up with a migraine...but I took my meds and ran in the afternoon.  It's that time of month...but not a bad day.  I had a big lunch...but I waited just over 2 hours before I ran.  This week I increased the incline on my treadmill from 2% to 3%...but surely it's not that much harder.

If I'm being brutally honest with myself, I think it's because my first Burke Lake run didn't go as well as I hoped.  I think I psyched myself out a little, because I have my first race in two days.

My reading/research over this past year tells me that sometimes you just have a bad day.  I can accept that.  I wish it wasn't my last run before my race, but I can shake that off.  I did complete my 3 miles today.  I am still excited about the 4 mile race on Saturday...I just have to remind myself...
Image Source: Elena Aitken's blog, Don't Forget to Breathe

Bottom Line:  I ran.  I'm still on track for the Half marathon in May...and am now signed up for a 10K "Recovery" race a couple weeks after that.  Hugely optimistic that I won't be crippled after the Half!!!

Half Marathon Training Progress Report (Monday) -
  • .25 mile walk
  • 2 mile run (10'00" pace)
  • .25 mile walk
Total Distance - 2.5 miles
Total Time - 29'18"

Half Marathon Training Progress Report (Today)
  • .25 mile walk
  • 3 mile run (varied pace)
    • 1 mile barefoot (10'00" pace)
  • .25 mile walk
Total Distance - 3.5 miles
Total Time - 39'38" (blah)

No comments:

Post a Comment