Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Technologically Challenged

I freely admit it, but not sure today's issue was completely my fault.  Today was my first day with a running club.  We gathered, we ran what was advertised as a 5k distance, and we socialized afterwards.  Fun and friendly people, so I will definitely go again.

The challenge comes in when I try to see how well I did today.  My Garmin tells me I ran 4.3 miles.  Would be very impressed with myself if that were even close to being true.  Sadly, when I mapped it, the starting point for this run was way off...about a mile...

Image Source:  Hard-lessons.com blog

So with clearly faulty data, the best I can guess is that I ran about 3 miles in about 30 mins, which is my training pace, so that's a positive.  I did stop twice...once when I thought I had hit the 3 mile mark, and once to wait for a light change so I didn't become roadkill.

Another positive is that I transitioned back and forth between traditional running and barefoot style running.  I have to say, it is very hard to move back to traditional running after I give my quads a break with the forefoot strike.  I had to make the effort to ensure I didn't overdo the barefoot running this week, so all in all I maybe ran half a mile that way.

My goal hasn't changed.  In time I will run exclusively barefoot style and eventually get back to my Vibrams.  Until then, I have to be very careful not to overdo it.  I cannot afford an injury until I complete the Half in May.

Barefoot Progress Report (Monday) -
  • .25 mile walk
  • 1 mile run (10'00" pace)
  • .25 mile walk
Total Distance - 1.5 miles
Total Time - 19'18"

Half Marathon Training Progress Report (Today) -
  • Ran about 3 miles (about a 10'00" pace)
Total Distance - Not really sure
Total Time - About 30 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment