Monday, March 25, 2013

Numb Foot? Weird...

Saturday's run was indoors due to chilly weather (defined as anything below 42-degrees).  It was another good run and my first 2 mile jump in the Long Run!

The strange thing was as I hit mile 4, it started to feel like my left foot was falling asleep.  I tried to alter my gait a bit, but that's kind of difficult on the treadmill.  A little later my lower left calf started to feel the same way...sort of numb, but tingly at the same time.  It wasn't a major issue, just odd.  It cleared up almost immediately when I moved to a barefoot running stride (forefoot strike) for the last .75 miles of my run.  Did I mention it was 6 WHOLE MILES...without stopping?!?!?!

There is, of course, a whole host of medical things that could cause this - vascular problems, flat foot problems, the ankle equivalent of carpal tunnel syndrome, tight calves issues.  But I'm not ready to run to the doc quite yet.  Some articles say the falling asleep sensation is a common issue for treadmill running.  I imagine that is more likely when the pace and elevation don't really change, which is the way I run indoors.  Other articles say it's not too common, but don't advise an immediate doctor's visit either.  It could be as simple as me tying my sneakers too tight.  Maybe a good foot massage will help...mmmmm...feel better already...
Image Source:  CeylonSalon.com

So for now, content to just try it again and see what happens during the next indoor run.

Half Marathon Training Progress Report (Saturday) -
  • .25 mile walk
  • 6 mile run (10:30 pace)
    • .75 mile barefoot run
  • .25 mile walk
Total Distance - 6.5 miles
Total Time - 1:12:00

Note - When my treadmill rolls over to hours and minutes, it no longer has room to track the seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment