Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Training While Sick

I have been feeling sick for about a week now...I won't get into the details, just not myself, exhausted and food has not been my friend.  I skipped yesterday's optional barefoot run, but I did manage to get both my "required" training runs in, Saturday and today.

Despite feeling not up to par, both my runs had acceptable times.  Sadly, I can only conclude that I am sandbagging when I feel healthy, i.e., not really running to my capability. Not sure what I should do about that...I could intensify my training - pick up the pace in general, start adding speed work (intervals), and resist the walk breaks that I am generally fond of during anything over 3 miles.

I weighed the Pros and Cons and decided I'm not going to work any harder.  I have a training plan that will accomplish my goal for this Half...to keep a (slightly slower) friend company and finish the race.  If I start training harder, I run the risk of injury.  I also run the risk of frustration...thinking I could have run the race faster.  So, the game plan is to just focus on the distance and a training pace between 10:00 and 10:45.

In June I can plan for the next Half - assuming that sounds like a good idea when I've actually done one!  If that's the case, I can train a little harder and see what I have to offer the Half Marathon gods.

As far as this past week went, this is how I felt...
Image Source:  DanceFullOut.com

But this is what I did...

Half Marathon Training Progress Report (Saturday) -
  • 4.5 mile run (10:43 pace)
Total Distance - 4.5 miles, plus unmeasured cool down
Total Run Time - 47:57

Half Marathon Training Progress Report (Today) - 
  • 2.9 mile run (10:32 pace)
  • .1 mile walk
Total Distance - 3 miles
Total Run Time - 30:46

No comments:

Post a Comment