Monday, May 21, 2012

Adding Distance

Sunday is the beginning of a new week, for me that means it's time to add to my routine.  The general recommendation from other running sites seems to be adding 10% per week.  If I'm going by time, that would mean adding another 50 secs to my first run and 20 or so, seconds to my short run (was run - walk - running last week).  Or another half a tenth of a mile....hmmmm...that seems ridiculously slow and will definitely not get me to my goal of 6 miles by Oct.  So, I charted it out and added 1/2 a mile yesterday.  My non-doctor, non-sports therapist recommendation is to go slowly, but listen to your body.  No calf issues for days, barely any tightness.  I have been being good about taking Rest Days, I know that I can run a 1/2 mile, because I have to run 1.5 miles a couple of times a year for work.  So, I did it, slowly...   concentrating on form and listening to my body the entire time.  Of course, everyone is different, so don't forget to consult a doc if you have any questions or concerns.

Image Source:  KansasCityStar.com 

Progress Report - On Sunday, I stretched my legs and went for a lovely 1 mile walk with my daughter and our dog.  Then I ran for a mile, running on the trails by my house to my previous stopping point, turning and running back.  I got to the 1/2 mile mark at 5'42, significantly slower to ensure I had good form.  No real calf tightness, just a comfortable warmth.  I finished the mile at 11'45.  Then turned around and walked a mile cool down.  It was during the walking that my calves started to complain.  You may be wondering why the mile warm up AND cool down.  Simple, trying to convince my body to keep moving for approx. 6 miles (10k)...so even though I'm only running 1 mile at this point, I was moving for 3 miles.  I hope to run the entire 10k, but taking baby steps to get there!
  • 1 mile - 11'45
Total Mileage - 3 miles

Disclaimer - These is not a photo of me and my blog readers, but it gives you an idea of the kind of surface I'm running on.  Mostly paved, through trees, with the occasional wooden bridge and one stretch of gravel.  Saw a bunny yesterday...he was running barefoot too!

No comments:

Post a Comment