Thursday, May 10, 2012

Progress Report

This morning I woke up with tight calves.  Nothing that my normal walking around, getting ready routine couldn't fix, but still...I really didn't do anything last night!  Starting to feel like an invalid when walking on a treadmill makes my calves complain the next day.

When I got home from work, I wriggled into my shoes and did a quick calf and hamstring stretch and....walked for a mile with my dog.  If you have a dog, you've already guessed it wasn't a quick or even continuous mile, but a dog's gotta do his doggie thing.


After that mile, however, Rex (yup, that's him) went in and I ran for a half a mile.  Really concentrating on form and posture and pace...just as the videos and barefoot running gurus suggest.  About 90 secs into it, my calves started talking to me.  At 2.5 mins they were yelling "Stretch out your stride!  Stretch out your stride!"  I really wanted to, but stuck with the program.  Finished my half-mile in a blistering 5'45 secs.  What?!?!

That's longer than the first run on Tuesday.  But I know, at this point, it's not about time it's about conditioning my legs to run a new way.  I walked the half mile back home knowing that I could have run both faster and farther...but I really want to do this right. Plus, in a weird way, all this restraint is making me want to run even more.  Apparently, I'm reverse psychology-ing myself, without even trying.
  • 0.5 miles - 5'45
Total Mileage - 2 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment