Monday, May 21, 2012

Distance vs Time

I'm still thinking about the recommended 10% increase per week, and I'm shaking my head because it seems overly rigid and ridiculously slow.  Of course, I'm also flexing and releasing my calves as I type because my "monster" run of 1 mile yesterday left me sore.

How much is too much?  How much is not enough?  Honestly, more is just more, and that's a good thing.  We've had two weeks of conditioning so far (me and my imaginary reader).  If you started out by running to the corner, go a little farther this week.  If you started out by running for two minutes, go a little longer this week.  Set a goal - working up to around the block or working up to 10 mins...whatever seems like a reasonable challenge to you.  Set small, but achievable goals.  The small part helps us avoid the dreaded Too Much Too Soon!

I'm beginning to wondering if my goal of a 10k in Oct is achievable, but I won't know until I try.  So take a look at where you started and take a look at where you want to be...and just get going!

Image Source: This Runner's Trials blog - Authored by a running Mom.  Jen's not running barefoot, but she's inspirational just the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment