Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Game Plan

Run For The Parks 10k, Oct 7, 2012...wearing minimalist shoes, AKA barefoot running.  Start from my current fitness profile of Walker, train in Vibram FiveFingers KSOs, and see what happens.


Progress to Date - On May 6th (Sun) bought my Vibrams.  The shoes come with a warning (if you can believe that) to only wear them 1 - 2 hours for the first couple weeks.  So I put them on, went for a 1 mile walk with my dog and daughter (also breaking in her new Vibrams), and that was it.  Felt sort of like I had mud between my toes, but eventually I stopped noticing.

On Monday, put them on after work and hit the treadmill at a slight incline and walked for 45 mins, ran at a slow pace for 3 mins, striking with the ball of my foot, which felt slightly odd.  Yes, I'm definitely easing into it...

Today, no weird calf issues, so strapped on my "barefoot" shoes did some light stretching and ran at an easy pace for a 1/2 mile.  Noticed an ever so slight pull in my calves, no strain on my shins, no knee complaints.  The ball of the foot running still feels strange, but the shoes are so light, it was a pleasure to be running again.
  • 0.5 mile - 5'30

Disclaimer - Those are not my abs.

No comments:

Post a Comment