Friday, May 25, 2012

Listen To Your Body

All of the minimalist and barefoot running websites recommend gradual increases to your time/mileage over many, many weeks. One site advised waiting all the way until your 3rd week before you worked up to a 3-mile run! Seriously? Doesn't sound gradual to me.  And advice like that is why I started this blog in the first place.  Some people aren't ready for 3 miles for months, barefoot or otherwise...

Image Source: cultivatemywellbeing.com.au

If you are really new to running, the half mile 5+ minute runs I started with may seem daunting as well.  But don't be discouraged!  Take baby steps and listen to your body. Just because I started increasing my mileage (.25 mile) on Week 2, doesn't mean that's right for anyone else.

Most of the sites advise only a 10% increase in mileage each week.  At that rate it would take me 2 months to go from a half mile to a full mile.  An extremely conservative pace, and unfortunately, one that won't get me to my 10k in time.  But having experienced a strange foot tenderness this week (Week 3), I may be on my way to being the poster child for TMTS.  I only increased a 1/2 mile!!!

The point is to ease into minimalist running, use good form, stretch and massage your poor feet/legs and go a little farther or a little longer each week.  It doesn't have to be added into one longer run either.  Run for a while, walk for a while, then run for a second (shorter) bit.  Perfectly fine.

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”
― John BinghamNo Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running

No comments:

Post a Comment