Thursday, May 17, 2012

Progress Report

Remember I was wondering about the right calf feeling tighter than the left after my first treadmill run this week?  I suspect it's a form problem, so I started the day off with a set of 100-Ups.  Felt good, no problems, although I start inching across the room when I speed them up.

After stretching calves, hamstrings, shins and toes, I took a risk and hopped onto the treadmill again.  Same routine as Wednesday: a 1 mile warm up walk, 1/2 mile run, 1/4 mile walk, another 1/4 mile run and cooled down with a 1/2 mile walk.  My calves were uncomfortably tight at the tenth of a mile mark, especially the right one.  By the next tenth of a mile they settled down and my run was over before I knew it.
  • 0.5 mile - 5'20
  • 0.25 mile - 2'35
Total Mileage - 2.5 miles

I can be fairly precise with my time and distance because I'm on the treadmill.  You can use a pedometer outside (if you calibrate it properly), but the only things you really need are a general idea of the distance and a timer on your watch.  When I do my 1/2 mile outdoors it's faster, but I'm really not sure it's exactly a half mile.  The point is don't sweat it!  This is still a conditioning phase and the fact that I'm setting a baseline in my crazy toe shoes is enough.  Remember the golden rule - Avoid Too Much Too Soon!

Image Source:  Deeper Living blog 

Disclaimer - I know she's wearing evil running shoes, but maybe being featured here will help her see the error of her ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment